The vitamin D calculator is designed to assist parents of young children in estimating their child’s daily intake of vitamin D from foods, multivitamins and casual sun exposure. Commonly known to be essential for healthy bone development, vitamin D is a hormone involved in many different types of cellular functions inside the body. This calculator is a simple and easy to use tool for everyone.
The result of the total daily calculation of vitamin D is broken down under food sources (dairy, fruits/vegetables, fish/meat, cereal), multivitamin and sun exposure. A pie chart provides percent intake of daily vitamin D from these sources.
The vitamin D calculator has the following main features:
1. User profile tab – enter name, age, height, weight, default zip code and skin type
2. Calculator tab – enter amount and type of food for each meal (breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner). Select multivitamin if used and enter time for sun exposure. Finally, calculate daily total.
3. Get social tab – connect on Facebook, Twitter and You Tube for useful tips, practical tips and videos.
A status bar keeps track of user data for different meals, vitamins and sun exposure. The user can also save the daily calculation.
Other features are:
1. Help manual on how to use the calculator
2. Frequently asked questions about vitamin D
3. Submit a question to an expert
4. Provide feedback