An Overview of Cross-Platform Mobile Apps
- In today’s fast-paced digital world, countless devices are running multiple operating systems across the globe. To reach a large number of audience, we should publish mobile applications on multiple platforms, which is possible through Cross-platform app development.
- Over the decade, Cross-platform development has become one of the most useful software development trends. Following the cross-platform approach enables developers to create applications for multiple platforms with the same code, thus reducing time, cost and unnecessary effort.
- The global mobile apps market reached to 106.27 billion dollars in 2018, and further growth of trends is likely to push the worldwide market to 407.31 billion dollars by 2026.
Cross-platform mobile application development is the process of developing mobile apps that can be published or deployed on multiple platforms using just a single codebase, without having to build the application various times using native technologies for every platform.
Initially, the complexity of mobile applications development has made it difficult to build a backend that works on multiple platforms. Although it is expensive and time consuming, creating native applications for each mobile operating system (OS) is simple and easy.
Have a look at the below statistics on cross-platform development frameworks that were used by mobile application developers across the world in the years 2019 and 2020.
Advantages of Using Cross-Platform App Development:
Following are some of the major benefits of cross-platform development:
- Reusable code: Cross-platform building tools enable you to write your own codebase, and can use the same codebase to multiple platforms and operating systems, without developing another code for each and every platform specific.
- Cost Efficiency: Cross-platform enables you to reduce costs such as working with multiple teams on different versions of your app and replacing them with one team. Most of the cross-platform creating tools are free of cost, providing paid subscriptions for more features.
- Convenience: Cross-platform developing tools will save you the hassle of learning multiple programming languages and instead provide you with an alternative to all of the various technologies.
- Maintainable Code: Whenever you update or modify your application, once you should update your code and the modifications will be synchronized and reflected in all applications across different platforms.
- Market Reach: If you publish your application on multiple platforms like Android and iOS, it will broadcast a wider network and improves the chances of having a larger user base and consequently gives higher revenues and higher ROI.
Now, we will be discussing some of the crucial and most popular tools that help developing cross platforms apps.
10 Popular Cross Platform Tools for Building Mobile Apps in 2020:
Xamarin is one of the best cross-platform app development platforms that enable developers to build applications for various mobile devices like Windows, iOS and Android. It includes native API access, native user interface across platforms, and native performance. The famed brands like UPS, Fox Sports Channel have used it to create applications that work on major mobile platforms.
This tool also provides a virtual private cloud facility for customers, which is amazing if you work with company’s sensitive data. In addition, the enterprise has dedicated infrastructure, performance management and monitoring, and product analytics.
#3 Adobe PhoneGap
PhoneGap is a well recognized cross-platform development tool in the software development industry. At present, the Adobe-owned tool is depending on the open source Apache Cardova project and is user friendly and free of cost, which may be the reason for its popularity. This framework provides you access to the Phonegap Toolset, which enables you to venture into the global market quickly.
#4 React Native
This tool describes your source code and changes it to native elements in a short span. Popular Social Media platforms Instagram and Facebook have used this tool for creating native apps.
The Red Hat platform, formerly known as FeedHenry, was bought by the company for .5 63.5 million. RedHat provides a mobile backend as a cross-app development platform and service platform that allows users to build and run mobile apps on both Google play and iOS app stores.
The firm also partnered with some tech giants such as Rackspace and AWS and associated with some large clients such as Airline Aer Lingus.
Sencha provides a wide variety of tools for application development of cross-platforms such as Sencha Animator, Sencha Architect, etc. Exit JS5 is an essential product for business users, which allows the developer team to develop HTML5 applications that can also be changed into native applications with the tool, PhoneGap. This will enable its apps to work on both touch-based devices and browsers to give great user experience.
HTML5 focused approach allows its applications to run on browsers as well as the latest touch-based devices. Samsung, Google, and CNN are some of the MNC companies that used Sencha tool.
#7 Alpha Software
Alpha software is the best solution for organizations. The main objective of this software tool is to create business applications for employee use. If the firm does not provide smart phones to its employees, it is a secure assumption that everyone should be using a variety of platforms. That’s the reason the enterprise required cross-platform for mobile and web development apps.
Field research, Work orders, Event reports Medical forms, Signature capture, Equipment inspections, Safety checklists, Service dispatch, etc. are some of the attracting features of Alpha Software. Awfully, Alpha Software gives its users a free trial for 30 days.
#8 Kony Quantum
One of the easiest ways to develop mobile applications for multiple platforms is Koni Quantum. It is best because of having a visual canvas with in-built components to select from many. You can also use Koni tool to improve existing apps and to develop a new one.
Koni Quantum is excellent for developers who have less experience. They offer single-click cloud structures and guided tours throughout the development process. It is easy to consolidate the data and finally, it will be placed on a visual data map to enhance productivity levels.
This tool is easy to understand and use, and it will use various APIs including Async, Virtual DOM, JSX, TypeScript, which are the perfect match for the PWA (Progressive Web App). Some of the famous applications that are developed on Ionic are like Nationwide, Nationwide, Pacific, etc.
Last but not least, Corona is another cross-platform which is ideal for developing apps and games for desktop, TV and obviously for smart phones using only one codebase. This tool fastens the coding procedure and helps to update quickly and check the output instantly on virtual devices.
Corona is free of cost and is preferable for 2D games as it’s perfect to use for high-speed games development and high-quality graphics.
Yes, your business application should be available on as many as possible platforms to reach a large number of audiences. But creating attractive and innovative apps for each and every platform is really time taking and expensive.
Don’t think much! Just take advantage of the afore-mentioned top 10 cross‐platform tools for building Window, iOS and Andriod mobile apps. As I said earlier, Cross-platform app development tools are ideal for saving time, cost and unnecessary effort.
Cross-platform mobile app developers like FuGenx Technologies develop and deliver sought-after mobile applications for Android, iOS, Windows and other trending platforms. FuGenx is an ideal choice of startups, SMBs and Fortune 500 companies for mobile app development.
Contact us today! We are ready to shape your idea into a revolutionary mobile app.